Fruit Sale orders are due to Mr. Truan on Friday, October 13th. The order form can be found here.
Tuesday, September 12, 2017
Become an official Member of the Band!
$70,000 of additional Band Program funding is needed every year to supplement funds from the City Schools of Decatur, band dues paid by families, grants, business sponsorships, and valuable individual donors like you!* This pays for program areas including sheet music, instrument and uniform repair, music instruction, and competition and trip fees.*
The Band program serves all music students who participate in the two concert bands, ensembles, and the marching band including color guard.
Our needs include:
1. Replacing old, unrepairable large scale instruments including 2 Tubas - $5,000 each, + 1 French Horn $3,000, Vibraphone $5000, Contrabass Clarinet - $10,000, Marching band instruments - $10,000
2. Purchasing new Marching Band and Color Guard uniforms too worn out to wear – around $150 per uniform
3. Provide scholarships to ensure that every band student is funded for special trips and competitions budgeted at $5,000
Click here to download the Musical Membership Form. Thank you for your help in making the DHS Band program the best it can be!
*Please note the Band is not a sport and therefore not eligible for Bulldog Booster funding.
Monday, August 28, 2017
Donation of $10 to receive your own high resolution file for your use – print it, frame it, whatever you wish!
Visit our website and click on the PayPal link. Please indicate $10 in the payment area on the site – Reason for payment is “Donation”. We will send the file to the email you provide under your payment info.
Friday, July 14, 2017
Band Camp starts ! We still have 8 volunteer spots OPEN and ONE donation item needed. Don’t delay, Please Volunteer – We can’t do this without you!
Volunteers – Dress appropriately, it’s going to be hot! Meet at your volunteer location and Thank you!
Here’s a few important Reminders:
Drop-off and pick-up your student(s) on Robin Street (off Commerce Drive). Students should cross Commerce Drive at the “cross walk” and head to the PAC each morning. Volunteers will be there to guide students.
Camp participants - start drinking water this weekend AND spend some time outside.
· WATER BOTTLE/ WATER JUG (YOU MUST HAVE WATER ON THE FIELD)
· SUNSCREEN (Bring plenty and plan to use it!)
· Hat covering the top of your head
· BRING YOUR INSTRUMENT!
· Pencil, paper, and a 1-inch binder with page protectors
· Khaki shorts, white shirt, and predominately white tennis shoes for the Preview Show
· Bug spray *optional
*Students should be wearing tennis shoes/sneakers to practice. Flip-flops, open-toed shoes, boat shoes, or any other shoes that doesn’t support the arch of your foot are not acceptable.
*Students must maintain the school’s dress code and follow all school rules while participating in any aspect of the band program.
We also want to have FUN: Be creative, dress for theme days:
Wednesday, July 19th – Superhero day
Thursday, July 20th – Blast from the past day
Friday, July 21st – Tacky Day
Monday, July 24th – Salad Dressing Day
Tuesday, July 25th – Twin Day
Wednesday, July 26th – Section Hype Day
Thursday, July 27th - Twilight Zone Day
Friday, July 28th – Blue and Gold (school spirit) Day
Friday, July 7, 2017
Band Camp starts a week from Monday. Secure your favorite volunteer opportunity now by visiting our SignUp.com page. You can also click on the "Volunteer" tab of the band's website - www.decaturband.org. In addition to helping the band, volunteering is a great way to meet other band families. And if you haven't registered your child for band camp yet, you can also do that on the website or visit our online registration here.
Thursday, May 25, 2017
Please gather your insurance card, physician information and contact information for two non-household emergency contacts before starting form. The form can be accessed here and the Marching Band Packet can be viewed and downloaded here. Contact Laura Thorsrud, Membership Coordinator with any questions about registration at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can access our PayPal account from the left side of our website.
Tuesday, May 2, 2017
Volunteers are need to help sell concessions at the Makers Space Grand Opening in Decatur this Saturday. We will be selling snacks and drinks from 12 - 6 but shifts are short(only three hours each.) We need at least two adults and six students to fill the slots. If you are unable to volunteer but love to bake, please send individually packaged baked goods to be sold for $1 a piece. Drop off will be in the Band Room on Friday. Click here to access the sign-up page.
Tuesday, April 18, 2017
The DHS Band Parent Association relies solely on parent volunteers to do the work that ensures that all of our children have a positive band experience. Currently, we have a small group of 10-15 parents that routinely do much of the work for over 100 marching and concert band students. For the continuity of our program moving forward, we need more parents to step up and help.
Here’s a list of only some of the jobs performed by this committed group for our program to be successful:
- Attend all home football games, working in the concession stand. This includes sales, food prep and cleanup after the game.
- Order food and supplies each week for the concession stand based on sales and attendance from last year and previous games sales
- Pick up and deliver food and supplies from vendors the week of the game
- Arrive the afternoon of each home game to prepare food for sale
- Inventory after each game
- Negotiate discounts and donations with local businesses for food and supplies for concession stand
Communications Committee: PR, Volunteer Sign-up, and Website/Eblast)
- Post band events and pin important items to the top of the page
- Promote and recognize our sponsors on social media
- Scan City of Decatur posts and repost articles pertaining to the band or music education in Decatur
- Post photos/videos of performances including marching band competitions and LGPE
- Post sponsor-related info on the Decatur Business and neighborhood pages
- Work with Event Chairs and Mr. Truan to create VolunteerSpots to organize volunteers
- Monitor sign-ups to make sure families are signing up
- Work with other members of Communications Committee to solicit volunteers, if needed
- Maintain and update our Google Blogger website
- Work with Mr. Tuan to keep the Google website calendar updated
- Send Constant Contact eblasts
- Fits students at beginning of each season, making any sewing alterations as needed
- Orders new uniforms as needed
- Coordinates end of season cleaning for all uniforms
- Attends all games and competitions to assist with uniforms
- Creates and coordinates list of prospect sponsors, recruits new sponsors
- Manages relationships with current sponsors
- Coordinates all band sponsorship programs including individual memberships
- Our two person fundraising team raised 30k this year for the band program (both marching and concert combined)!!!
We need more band parents to help.
Currently, we have the following positions open for the 2017-18 academic year:
- Band Camp (2 chair people needed)
- Pit Crew Coordinator
- Fruit Sales Coordinator
Please consider volunteering to help our organization. We need many people to help do this work to ensure a successful experience for all band students.